52 Weeks of Collage, Week 45

HEALTH.

Today collage is in the background of the foreground. The letter H is brought to you by mixed media layers of watercolor pencil, collage, acrylic paint, metallic paint, stamps, and stickers.  


    I started with a few pages from a magazine and two colors, yellow and green.  When I think health and vitality I think of yellow, green and red.   I created a multi-layered mixed media collage on a sheet of 9x10 mixed media paper.  I didn't used a thick paper because I wanted it to be easy to cut with scissors.



It starts off simply enough with a little mark making with water color pencil.


Next thing you know you have this multi-layered page of colorful, textural crazzzyyyy!!

Next step, create HEALTH letters on the pc to act as a cutting template.  Font:  Bowlby One, size 190 pt.  Any simple sans serif will work, its easier to cut out.  If you're comfortable drawing the letters, that works too!!  I glued the letters onto the back of the above colorful crazzyyy sheet and cut them out.  

After cutting them out I toyed with a couple different ideas for the background that they would be glued on in the journal.  I thought I wanted black but when I tested a letter against a swatch of black paint I didn't love it.    To get a more interesting black background I first made the background colorful with bright, sparkly red, magenta, purple and a bit of green that was leftover on my palette.  


Next, I mostly covered in a thin layer of acrylic black paint.  Allowing some of the color so be seen through and around the black paint.    Lastly, I glued the letters to the background.

Week 45 Final Collage Health.



I hope this idea of collage as background of the foreground sparks ideas for your creative practice.

Until Next Week,
Traci








 

Comments