52 Weeks of Collage, Week 22

 

Small cluster collage of layers of fabric and paper

PLANET.


That little bundle of mixed media love is called a 'cluster'.  And I learned it from watching one of one of Treasured Books YouTube videos.  The background is a piece of fabric and the rest is paper just layered on top of each other.  The objective is to create a focal point that ties the rest of the collage elements together.



I started today's collage with a printout of a vintage style map collage image.  And some acrylic paint and a dark 8B lead pencil.  The 8B pencil is darker than the standard #2 pencil.  I enjoy doing mark making with it.  I had originally intended to use the brightly colored circle as the focal image; but once the background was finished it was too bright.  


collage with gold, green and blue background,  torn map pages, and black splatters as a finishing touch

The final collage has a few finishing touches such as outlining the focal image to help it standout from the background.  A black scribble pencil border around  the whole collage and some back splashes of paint.  

Next week I will be adding gesso to the lineup!  I miss the effects of using gesso as a background and midground layer.  While white paint works visually, it doesn't help the paint on top of it to spread.  Gesso also allows us to wipe away some of the paint on top of it, which is a great effect when layering colors.  I will show some comparisons next week.  In the meantime look for gesso for your arsenal.  And store brand will work!!

I would love to see your Planet Theme collage!  Share with me @moonfullart on Pinterest and Instagram.

Till Next Week,

Traci


Comments