Layers, Layers

Once upon a time, in a land far away...ohh wait ...sorry, wrong blog.  This is not a blog of words, its a blog of   C O L O R!!

orange watercolor paint on watercolor paper

I received my first Art Snacks box!  Ride along, while I try to use the orange watercolor paint, blue & green color pencils, purple watercolor pencil and black fine liner all in one mixed media project.  
#artsnacks box

Admitedly this would be easier if the watercolor paint and the watercolor pencil where not complimentary (opposites & clashey).  But ya know, who doesn't love an art challenge?  

I started by taking a 11x17 sheet of watercolor paper and cutting it into 4 equal sizes.  The first layer was a thin texture paste, similar to gesso but with more texture.   The second layer is the orange watercolor paint.  I applied it with a palette knife and brayer.  
Layers of orange watercolor and texture paste on 140 lb water color paper
Layer 2 of orange watercolor paint

This photo is the 3rd layer which is clear gesso. Gesso is usually white, and it is used as a foundation layer similar to primer for house paint.  In fact some artist do use primer instead of gesso.   I'm using gesso because the orange paint is watercolor which will reactive and mix with anything wet that I put on top of it.  I want the orange to stay put.  I chose to use clear gesso, instead of white because I'm not sure yet of what my next layer is, but I know I want that orange to stay put.  If I decide I want to cover some or all of the orange I can still do that without the orange mixing. 

Layer of clear gesso, orange watercolor and texture paste on 140 lb water color paper
Layer 3 clear gesso 


Comments